Prices, start dates, length, style
Visit DEGREE OVERVIEW
Doctor in Ergonomics and Industrial Design
Through our cooperation with second best university in Bulgaria – the Technical University of Sofia (TUS) we are working on being able to offer you this study program in the future (enrollment to the program is currently closed).
Doctor of Philosophy
- Ergonomics and Industrial Design
- 3 years fulltime individual
- Doctor in Ergonomics and Industrial Design
- Recognizable in the Czech Republic through certification by local university
- Students may need to study more elective courses to match number of ECTS credits required for recognition.
In a major study this course mixes technical courses, arts and humanities. This specialization covers these main areas:
- Design of industrial products
- Design of textiles and clothing
- Design of promotional products
- Design of vehicles
- Design of packages
- Design of three-dimensional environments
The areas on which you can focus is very wide and must be linked to design. This programme offers truly endless possibilities in what you want to become an expert. It can range from design of vehicles, spatial layout, design of packaging and promotional products, web design (UX – user experience), furniture design to designing gardens or other items or areas.
Students focus their research based on several courses that are selected only after their individual choice of topics and specialization focus. Besides that students can choose from wide set of elective courses.
What you can study
This specialization is truly cross industrial. Since you can focus on design of clothes or design of vehicles or electronics, your options are almost limitless. It all depends on your research project and its acceptance by the admission committee.
Organization and procedures for PhD studies
Organization of doctoral training in specialty “Ergonomics and Industrial Design” is performed along the following guidelines:
- The applicant needs to first approach the CBU’s lecturer with a research proposal. He or she will discuss and precise the topic.
- The doctoral student and the tutor prepare an individual educational plan for conducting PhD studies.
The individual curriculum includes:
- Topic of thesis which can be in the area of specialty “Ergonomics and Industrial Design” plus one or more other scientific areas;
- Scheduling various activities thorughout all year;
- Exams and deadlines to be followed.
- The individual curriculum is then approved by the university
- To conduct the exam in the specialty, the supervisor submits required progress and other reports to applicable department which will create an examination Commission,
- Report of the scientific advisor to the Head of Department;
- Report of the Head of the Department of proposed members of the commission (at least
3 persons with academic rank and featuring supervisor);
- A compendium of the quoted literature (references);
- Draft exam order prepared by Academic affairs (study) department stating the date, time and room for the examination.
- The Commission will carry out an examination in the specialty requested.
- Exam in a foreign language (if not in English and students requests to be examined in another language allowed like Czech, Russian or Bulgarian) is carried out by two-member commission appointed by the university
- An examination shall be drawn up, signed by all members of the committee, a copy of that given within two days to the PhD student and the second copy to Academic Affairs department
- Annual performance evaluation of doctoral students is carried out (Sample):
- PhD student present a report on the activities carried out and a report on implementation of individual plan;
- Supervisor submits a written opinion about the student’s progress in a staff proposal sheet giving positive or negative appraisal;
- Supervisor offers concretization of individual plan next year.
- Proposals for attestation of PhD students and concretization of individual plan is approved by the Faculty Council (FC).
- At the end of each quarter Ph.D. presents a report on implementation of individual plan:
- Report on the work done by the dissertation or doctoral minimum certified by the supervisor and confirmed by evidence (written part of the thesis, 7 draft publications etc.),
- Statement of teaching.
- Progress conclusion of PhD student is carried out by order of the rector prepared by the Academic Affairs department following a decision of the FC
- After passing all mandatory and elective exams, student passes to small and big defence of the thesis
- Master degree in arts or technical specialization
- Submit application
International cooperation opportunities
Students can spend a semester at selected universities in Germany or travel through Erasmus+ grants to a cooperating university or a company (for internship). These opportunities are constantly growing as students can enjoy shared benefits brought to them not only by CBU, but also TUS.